Monday 22 June 2015

SHATTER ME BOOK REVIEW

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I saw this book on Goodreads and ordered it online based on reviews already made, and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived sooner than the books I ordered via the Chapters store did. At first, it took me a while to get into this one. I thought that the editing was poor during the first few chapters i.e. run-on sentences, poor grammar, and the strike-outs kept tugging me out of the story. But as I forced myself to keep reading, this got better - or it stopped mattering because the story yanked me into the pages. More importantly, it made sense. The author wasn't being lazy, the author was making a point. This is the character's state of mind.

But Juliette is far from simple; she adapts to her lot in life. Juliette is a character who deals with what she is given as it is received rather than wishing for what she can't obtain. Her growth throughout the novel is shown as the world around her changes, and the way that the author portrays this in her writing is brilliant. I now love the grammar and punctuation errors because it represents growth and really sucks the reader into Juliette's frame of mind as events unfold. Tahereh Mafi has woven a very complex character who endures real-world problems - love, war, dejection - in an intricately designed world that's beyond anything I could comprehend having to deal with, yet it works because the world the author has created is something I could foresee happening based on the world today. When you add in the problems Juliette deals with because she can't touch anyone (with exceptions) without causing physical pain that can lead to death, this was a first installment I could not put down. In fact, it was causing physical pain impossible not to pick up the second book in the series, Unravel Me.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spiritborne (Spirit's War, #1)

Spiritborne by K.V. Wilson My rating: 5 of 5 stars I was introduced to this novel on a free platform and loved it so much, I purchased...